Tuesday 19 July 2011

Lost in the beauty of peach blossoms

 

From far or near,
it looks like a beautiful dream.

With peach blossoms in foreground and Poplar trees afar, it is a scene which I thought only exists in Chinese poems, too pretty to be real. Standing in front of the large field of blossoming peach trees at Fei Cheng, Shandong, I think I could finally understand why Chinese poets were able to create such beautiful literary works.

 

The Chinese has a famous poem on an incidental journey made by a fisherman through a river, with peach blossoms flowering on both banks. At the end of the river and through a passage way, he found a peaceful village, much like an eutopia. He was warmly welcomed and stayed with them, leading a life too good to be true. It seems like human nature to be dissatisfied, even for the 'best', and after some time, the fisherman decided to leave the village to go back home, thinking that he could mark the route and come back in future. Of course, as the story goes, he couldn't find the place ever again.


Walking through the field of pretty blossoms, I wondered if I were the fisherman, will I leave a 'perfect' place to return home? My mind wondered as my feet wandered and when it is time to go back to my travel group, I realised that I was lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment